Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Students Are Different, Why Can't Teachers Be Too?

Before I officially begin writing this post, I need to take a minute:


Poke...poke...


There, I've officially agitated those that will inevitably react with strong opinions when I'm done with this blog post! :)

A little background before I get into this discussion/rant/sharing of my two cents. I have been on twitter with a professional account for approx. 6 months now. In that time, I have developed what I consider to be a valuable PLN. I love that I've connected with colleagues, clients, fellow teachers and fellow SMART Board users -- they've all contributed resources, ideas, opinions and generally just made my online experience wonderful.

One of the most discussed topics amongst those that I follow is that of education reform.  This is a hot topic in today's education world, and the focus of countless #edchats, keynote speakers, best selling books and professional development in schools.  I've engaged in numerous online discussions, and I really value that I get to see a diverse range of opinions on the subject -- inevitably, this makes me refine and shift my own thinking from time to time.

However, one common thread that I have witnessed throughout all of this online babble -- both the conversations that I've partaken in as well as those that I've simply 'eavesdropped' on -- is that many people seem to have the belief that there is only one 'correct' way to reform teaching.

This concept of "my way is the best way" isn't new, nor exclusive to edreform discussions.  But what bothers me about this absolute viewpoint is that there are folks that believe that one approach to teaching is the only way to save education, and that this one way is going to improve learning for every single student.

Enter my opinion:

I believe that a "one size fits all" approach to anything in education is not likely to result in increased understanding by all of our students.  Much like those who preach that the current education system isn't meeting the needs of all students because of their various talents, strengths and weaknesses, I believe that teachers shouldn't be forced into a standardized mold.  This goes for those who have opinions that span the spectrum from constructivism to the traditional 'stand and deliver' method.

What I want to scream from the rooftops is that I honestly believe that the actual teaching method itself is not the issue.  I have read numerous articles praising the benefits of a variety of methods including student centered learning, teachers using storytelling, inquiry based learning and teachers lecturing with visual aids.  Why are we still engaged in this battle focusing on what the best teaching method is?

I should probably back up a bit here and state for the record that I do believe that many elements of the education system need to change (starting with the emphasis on standardized tests).  I also believe that there are some teachers who probably need some 'pushing' outside their comfort zone. But there are a million more teachers that are doing wonderful things in their classrooms, and instead of pushing those teachers into the 'one right way' we should be helping them refine their skills.

What I really believe could transform the education world is helping teachers discover their talents, subsequently supporting and developing these talents in their classroom, then coaching them in identifying the context when each style should be used.  Let's face it -- a teacher who is a strong storyteller may actually be able to get students to 'experience' an event better than trying to fumble to piece together a poorly constructed student inquiry project.  Conversely, there are those that are masters at being a facilitator in their classrooms and guiding students' learning through thoughtful questions -- these types might 'lose' their students interest if attempting to provide a 20 minute lecture. 

Before I get a zillion comments regarding the fact I might actually be making a case for 'sage on the stage' I want to backtrack and emphasize that a variety of teaching methods should always be used within every classroom.  I'm simply arguing that the amount of time spent with each style should not only vary from teacher to teacher depending on the students in each class, but also on each teachers' strengths.

Thanks to @joe_bower @graingered and @xmath2007 for engaging in a recent Twitter conversation on this exact topic recently! Much appreciated :)

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? I welcome them in the comments section. I"m especially looking forward to today's #edchat -- as of this posting, the poll shows this topic in the lead!

Oh, and because I'm very much like Chandler in that I usually try to make jokes to ease the tension during a potentially uncomfortable situation, I'm ending with a funny editorial cartoon:




Haha - thanks for taking the time to read my opinion!

Vanessa

6 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with what you are saying. I fear, though, that a lot of the contracts that teachers are in don't allow for change, innovation, room to explore. Everything in education today seems locked in a model of stasis. I think if you incorporate more tech, more time for relationships, and allow funding and resources for entrepreneurs, you are on your way to having teachers utilizing their talents as habits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go so far as to say, that IF there is such a thing as a learning style, there MUST be such a thing as a teaching style.

    Daniel Willingham, et.al. have taken the idea of learning styles to task in a very compelling way (in my mind). But humans do have different gifts, innate gifts, if you will. Students respond to the teacher who is comfortable in their own skin.

    Can teachers develop other skills? Sure, but I don't think they will ever get to the level of what comes naturally to them. The problem is, most of a person's talents are taught out of them through their education process of becoming teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanessa,
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Like Douglas, I too don't find anything wrong with what you are saying. I really don't understand our need for a "one size fits all" type of approach to, not only teaching, but life in general. How can we preach about students learning styles and how we need to cater for each of them and then forget that we, teachers, are also different from each other and that we have "various talents, strengths and weaknesses"? So, yes I do agree with "helping teachers discover their talents" and then take it from there. Maybe a good way is to try something like this:http://www.teachers.tv/series/from-good-to-outstanding Who knows? It just might work. It starts with our want/need to be better, to be outstanding not just for us, but for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud your efforts in writing this post! I'm a passionate, hopefully innovative educator. 14 years as a principal, 5 years as a director of a federal "Language and Literacy" program for ELL students. Big time into research. My fervent belief,based on research, is that it's the teacher that makes all the difference in the classroom, learning, success of the student. Without clear, focused, passionate teaching, our students simply won't learn and grow in the way that we hope. I believe that a teacher should use their gifts,talents to teach students using the tools and resources provided or those that are proven, effective, researched that they've acquired and used. However, I don't believe that it's ok to have a teacher, teach "differently" just because they want to. How do your define different? Differently for one teacher might be through work sheets and lecture. For another it might mean using amazing "ed tech" resources, coordinating great literature, Skyping with other teachers around the world...you get my point. Bottom line for me is all teachers need to be supported to be the best that they can be using what ever resources they have available for their students and ultimately for themselves! I've seen amazing talented teachers, who have little resources available, use those to teach an awesome lesson. The difference is that they were driven by a passion to be the best. AND... they were supported and felt supported by other amazing colleagues and (frequently)their principal. Now...can a teacher succeed in spite of this support, guidance and mentoring that I believe is so important, Yes. Should that be the norm? No. This continues to be my driving passion-we need to do much more to support, guide, mentor, equip our teachers in the classroom, period. Your one size fits all argument is valid. Teachers should be allowed to use different strategies to reach their students. However, as we've been sharing in our PLN they need to be those "different" strategies that are going to be successful at reaching our students, lighting their passions, meeting their needs in the 21st, not the past, century. Thanks for your post and the opportunity to respond and dialogue. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone!

    Douglas, I completely agree that contracts and structural pressure can drain the creativity out of teachers!

    Ric and Alex - I really, truly do believe that you're right, teachers need to develop their talents, and then find a balance between that and their students' needs.

    And Lisa - thank you for taking the time to share your expertise, thoughts and suggestions! I agree that educators need to recognize the need for balance between the 'need' to push some teachers out of stagnant teaching and supporting teachers developing their style. It's such a fine balance! Definitely an issue with given some people too much freedom, and others not enough space to breathe...

    Again, I thank all of you for your thoughtful contributions :) Should be an interesting #edchat tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sing it Vanessa! I agree with you 100% Ed reform is going to look a little different all over the country and one size fits all approach is how we got into this mess in the first place. Never apologize for poking the sleeping bear of ed reform. If we don't poke it, it won't wake up and everything stays the same.

    I learn from you all of the time. Keep shouting out your opinion and your PLN will be there to support you. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Clustr Map