Friday, April 16, 2010

Fresh Look Fridays - Magnetic Poetry

Are your students having poetry writing blocks? Today's Fresh Look Fridays post features the fun online Magnetic Poetry site.


Students drag the virtual fridge magnets to form sentences, poems, short stories, etc.   Using the website on a SMART Board as a center gets kids up out of their desks and adds a bit of a starting point for those writers who are struggling with putting words to paper. 

Bonus tip: use the new transparency layer in SMART Notebook 10.6 (Windows only right now) to add digital ink for words that aren't on magnets, then take an area capture of the overall work and save to a Notebook page.


As a once-in-awhile formal English teacher (I could write an essay as a Social Studies teacher, ergo I could apparently teach Language Arts too), I know that poetry wasn't always the most highly anticipated unit for students.  Anything that gets students a bit more engaged with writing is great in my books.


Vanessa

3 comments:

  1. I spent far too long playing with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect suggestion for a quick whole-class poetry lesson for National Poetry month in April. I am imagining small groups of students at the board as a center activity and creating a poem together. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I know, Thomas, it can definitely be addictive :)

    ReplyDelete

Clustr Map