Friday, April 2, 2010

Fresh Look Fridays -- Mix and Match Feelings

As I looked back through recent Fresh Look Fridays posts, I realized that I've spent an awful lot of time reviewing interactive websites for Grades 4 and up.  As such, I've purposefully selected a website for use in the primary classroom today:



Mix and Match Feelings is a fun website that helps Kindergarten students understand an abstract concept -- emotions.




Students drag a combination of eyes and a mouth onto the face to discover what emotion this portrays.  I think this becomes particularly effective when students pair the same set of eyes with different types of mouths.

For example, this:

 
is a very different emotion than this:
 

As always, this could be a great small group exploration activity on a SMART Board.  Students could experiment with the various combinations then challenge each other to create an emotion that is stated to them.

Looking for a curriculum link? Here it is:

Alberta Program of Studies: Kindergarten Health: Relationship Choices -- R-K.1

Have a fantastic weekend and a Happy Easter!

Vanessa



5 comments:

  1. This is so cute, it is perfect for a feelings/empathy unit I do every year with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be an excellent way for ASD students to explore emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great find. Some of my special ed teachers would love to use this with some of their students. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea -- I never thought of special ed or Autism Spectrum Disorder students! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. a great visual for a check in at the beginning of a group!

    ReplyDelete

Clustr Map