Friday, February 5, 2010

Fresh Look Fridays -- iNudge

When I was teaching, I found that many all-staff professional development sessions focused on core curriculum only.  As a Social Studies teacher, this was great for me since I taught a 'mainstream' course, but I always felt bad for my friends and colleagues that were grouped into the category of "options teacher".  As such, I try to make a conscious effort to address specific curricular outcomes in complimentary curriculums during pd sessions that I lead.

Today's Fresh Look Friday's review is therefore a website to appease my music-teacher friends.   iNudge
was recommended to me by Mike Yuzwenko -- music teacher at Riverbend Jr High in Edmonton, AB.

The basic premise is that students can explore with creating rhythms and music with 8 layers of sound (one for each of the buttons on the right hand side).  No formal music training is necessary, but how pleasant your creation comes out depends on what instruments you select to play, at what pitch and at what time.  Simply press a square on the matrix, and it will register a sound there as it cycles through.  Play around with tempo and share your creation with friends!  A great music "centre" if set up on an interactive whiteboard in your classroom.  Thanks, Mike for a fun, yet educational, website! :)

As always, ties to curriculum are important, so here are a few areas within the Alberta curriculum that this website helps meet:

Grade 4-6 Music: Creating Strand, Outcomes 5, 9, 12
Grade 7-9 General Music: Level III Module, Performance and Structures Outcomes

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!
Vanessa

3 comments:

  1. What a great tool, simple yet very effective. I'll try using it with my class of 8 year olds next week during our Science investigation into Sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, this is fabulous! I haven't seen it before but will definitely be sending on to our music teachers (you are right, they often feel left out!). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for sites to send to the "Other" teachers in my building. It's so hard to find the elective courses something to look at when I cruise the internet. This is a great source for Music Teachers.

    - @TheNerdyTeacher

    ReplyDelete

Clustr Map