Friday, February 19, 2010

Fresh Look Fridays -- In Honour of the Olympics

Since the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver are almost officially half over, I thought I'd dedicate this week's Fresh Look Fridays post to interactive Olympics websites.  Let's face it, I'm slightly obsessed with watching events, keeping up with real-time results via Twitter, cheering on our Canadian athletes and pretty much consumed with the pride and excitement that the Olympics brings.

Today's post is not going to follow the traditional Fresh Look Fridays format.  Instead, I've compiled a list of some great interactive websites that have come highly recommended to me from my "Tweeps".  I haven't had a chance to fully explore each and every website, but I trust their judgment! :-)

BBC - Primary History - Ancient Greeks

The first site comes as a recommendation from Emily Starr (@StarrMatica).  It's a great interactive site geared towards younger students exploring the history of the Olympics.  Check it out here.




 NBC Winter Olympics Science Videos

The next website comes via an educator whom I respect very much: @ktenkely has a fantastic blog, and recently posted a description of a Winter Olympics Science-based site found here.  (please note: you'll need to find a way to view these videos if your IP address is not from the United States)



Ollie Bray's Blog

Thanks to@lamoureuxr for the next tip!  @OllieBray has a fantastic educational blog, which has featured Winter Olympics content recently.  Check it out here





Sharing the Dream

This website, put out by the Ministry of Education in British Columbia, has numerous interactive content that's updated daily. Thanks to @danbowen for recommending this site on Twitter!





The Vancouver Olympics in Google Earth

The Google Earth blog, found here, has a wide variety of interactive tools.  Thank you to @krs917 for the link!


2010 Olympics Weebly

Thanks once again to @ktenkley for the final list of Olympic websites!  Take some time to peruse all the great stuff found here.





Thanks once again to all those on Twitter who graciously answered my question a few days ago.  This blog post is just another excellent example of the power of an online PLN!!

Have a fantastic weekend -- enjoy marathon couch potato hours of watching the 2010 Olympics! Go Canada!

Vanessa

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for including my site. My students are really enjoying integrating the Olympic games into their learning. So far the Mascot site is the favorite of my third graders!

    ReplyDelete

Clustr Map